Pairing Your Apple Watch with Your New iPhone 15October 31, 2023
Remote Help Nerd ScriptNovember 1, 2023
Gizmo Guide™: Regaining Admin Access to SharePoint
If you’ve lost admin access to your SharePoint, or are looking to identify admin users, follow this guide to regain control and ensure proper management of your SharePoint environment.
1. Identifying Admin Users:
SharePoint Admin Center:
- Navigate to the SharePoint admin center.
- Here you can view and manage admin roles, including the SharePoint Administrator role.
User Information List:
- The User Information List in SharePoint stores data about users including metadata from Active Directory like DisplayName, and Login Name. This list is only visible to SharePoint administrators.
Manage User Profiles:
- Go to your SharePoint site, click on Admin to reach the “SharePoint admin center”.
user profileson the left navigation.
- Under People, click on
Manage User Profiles.
- Here you can manage, create, or remove user profiles.
2. Checking User Permissions:
- Enter the name of the user/group you want to check in the SharePoint permissions checking tool.
check nowto view the permission levels available to the user or group.
3. Regaining Admin Access:
If You are a Global Administrator:
- Global Administrators in Microsoft 365 can assign users the SharePoint Administrator role.
- If a user’s role is changed to gain access to the SharePoint admin center, it will take about an hour for the change to take effect.
If You are Not a Global Administrator:
- Contact a Global Administrator within your organization to have them assign you the SharePoint Administrator role.
4. Assigning New Admin Roles:
- Global Administrators can assign users the SharePoint Administrator role via the Microsoft 365 admin center.
- SharePoint Administrators can manage site admins, sharing settings, and Microsoft 365 groups, among other tasks.
5. Contact Microsoft Support:
- If all else fails, contacting Microsoft Support for assistance in regaining admin access to your SharePoint might be necessary.
Regaining admin access and identifying admin users are crucial steps in ensuring the smooth operation of your SharePoint environment. Following the steps above should guide you in the right direction to manage your SharePoint effectively.